Changing member status 


If you plan to take a temporary leave, retire, or move to another jurisdiction, you need to change your status to non-practicing. To change your status to non-practicing, submit a completed change in status request form to the CCOA.

Submission deadlines:

Applications cannot be backdated. Submission deadlines for change in status applications are 11:59:59 PM on the 15th day of every month. The change in status effective date will be the last business day of the submission month. Any change in status applications received after the submission deadline will be processed on the last business day of the subsequent month.

If a member has submitted their change in status application after the deadline, the member can pay a late fee to have their change in status processed on the last business day of the submission month.  

For annual membership renewal only, change in status applications must be submitted by June 15. Submissions received between 12:00:00 a.m. on June 16 and 11:59:59 p.m. on June 23 will be assessed a late fee. Payment of that fee is required prior to processing the application for an effective date of June 30. Failure to pay the late fee or submitting a change in status application on or after June 24 will result in the regulated member’s change in status application not being processed on June 30. The regulated member will then move into a suspended category effective July 1.

If you do not apply to change your status, and let your membership lapse, your practice permit will be cancelled. You will then be considered a member not-in-good-standing and may encounter difficulties in future attempts at registration in Alberta or elsewhere.

If there is an ongoing investigation, outstanding requirements from discipline orders, monies owing to the CCOA, or if your practice permit is currently suspended, your change in status request will not be approved.

Return to active practice

Specific requirements are required to return to active practice. If you are non-practicing for more than three years, you will be required to complete the CCEB Recertification Exam and any other requirements the Registrar deems necessary. To understand requirements specific to the length of time away from practice, contact the CCOA.

Researcher status

Members engaged in research activities as an adjunct to their chiropractic practices may qualify for researcher status. Download the application form for Researcher status.